Ergonomic writing instruments
Jumbo Grip pencil
Scribolino twist pencil
1. A stable but soft and extra thick lead of 1.4 mm for writing practice without troublesome sharpening.
2. The “shock absorber” (= integrated spring) offsets too much pressure and thus avoids the lead breaking.
3. Ergonomically shaped triangular profile which supports the three-finger grip.
4. Rotation-symmetrical shape, for righthanders and left-handers.
5. Intuitive orientation help with colour markings for the index finger and thumb which requires a three-finger grip but which ergonomically does not result in cramping thus allowing an individual grip.
6. Pleasant, non-slip material for relaxed grip.
7. Sturdy twist mechanism for precise lead lengthening.
Scribolino school fountain pen
1. The nib must have an iridium tip to withstand strong pressure.
2. A “step” towards the nib helps a child not to position his/her fingers too far forward and to ensure a writing angle of around 45 degrees. The nib thus glides fluidly, the fingers do not cover the writing tip and enable the necessary eye-hand coordination.
3. The grip zone should not have three recesses as these can lead to more cramping of the hand. In terms of the ergonomic grip zone, the following is true: as little as possible and as much as necessary. A recess or “slide” is only important for the index finger as a predefined position; this ensures the best possible changes of direction and variation in pressure. The middle finger does not require a recess on the underside – it does best with a smooth surface so that it can lie at an angle under the pen. A recess could change the position of the wrist, elbow and arm resulting in the writing hand tensing up! The thumb does not need a recess either – it should be allowed to find the grip position that suits it best.
4. Asymmetrically designed grip zone to suit a child’s hand preference.
5. Refilling with standard cartridges and window to check the ink level.
6. The barrel should prevent a child from lengthening the barrel with the cap. This stops any negative leverage effect and unnecessary muscle involvement.
7. Incorporated “roll-away brake”